The qualification aims to:
- Consider the reasons people use drugs and be able to categorise drugs, explaining their effects
- Examine different types of community involvement associated with substance use/misuse
- Examine the size and scope of drug use/misuse in the UK
- Identify examples of good practice in community involvement and development and look at national initiatives which support these
- Investigate the signs and symptoms of drug use/misuse and the range of possible responses and services available.