All the units within this qualification are vocationally based, directly helping you gain the knowledge, understanding and skills required to work to work with children between birth and five years, with knowledge of children up to seven years. The following are mandatory units:
- An introduction to the role of the early year’s practitioner
- Engage in professional development.
- Support children’s play in early years
- Support children’s positive behaviour
- Support physical care routines for children
- Support the needs of the child in preparing for school
- Supporting children’s development
- Supporting children’s play
- Understand how to plan to meet the needs of the developing child
- Understand how to work in partnership
- Understand legislation relating to the safeguarding, protection and welfare of children
- Use legislation relating to equality, diversity and inclusive practice
- Use legislation relating to the health and safety of children
- Use observation, assessment and planning.
The qualification also includes four optional units:
- Healthy lifestyles for children through exercise
- Healthy lifestyles for children through the provision of food and nutrition
- Supporting children with additional needs
- Supporting creative play.