This weeks apprenticeship of the week is for a…
IT Technician Apprentice at Accrington and Rossendale College.
Company: Accrington and Rossendale College
Hours: 37 hours per week, Monday – Friday
Annual Wage: National Apprenticeship Wage
To provide technical support to the College’s staff and learners with an emphasis on AVA/IT facilities and infrastructure; both within the College and with external partners.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the helpdesk function – monitoring the telephone, email and web requests and in-person direct enquires
- Install, commission and loan out; audio visual, computer, mobile devices, telephony and printing hardware to agreed standards
- Investigate, locate, record, and when possible, repair faults
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and repair with service suppliers
- Assist in IT audits and asset tracking documentation preparation & issue
- Advise and assist users with computer software problems
- Install and document applications packages to agreed standards
- Monitor and maintain key client/server applications, such as online testing, printing and photocopying and library systems.
- Maintain and support user accounts system – including housekeeping and data management.
- Advise and assist users in the use of the College data and telecommunications network
- Investigate, locate, record, and when possible, repair faults in network cabling and hardware
- Ensure all redundant IT equipment is disposed of in accordance with the College’s Environmental Policy. This includes ink and toner cartridge recycling.
- Provide a customer-focused service, dealing with support requests from both staff and learners
- Provide staff development on key IT related issues/solutions
- Respond to support requests in a timely manner and maintain the departmental service level agreement
- Support the general work of the IT team and Reprographics team
- Undertake training as appropriate
- Work evenings and Saturdays as required, for which a time off in lieu system operates
- Responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people that the postholder has responsibility for or contact with.
- Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably required, commensurate with grade and scope of this post and agreed with the relevant line manager.
Applicants must have:
A good standard of general education to a full level 2 standard including Maths / English
A demonstrable interest in IT and user support. E.g.
- The ability to setup, install and test PC workstations, printers, mobile devices etc.
- Experience of computer networks, fault finding and repair.
An understanding of the role of a 1st line support technician.
An understanding of the function of the Helpdesk and the various roles undertaken.
The ability to communicate and interact effectively with people at all levels in a professional manner.
A commitment to providing high levels of customer service
Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs of the team
The ability to lift and transport IT and AVA equipment
A commitment to undertake training and pass a test on the College’s Safeguarding and Protecting practice, policy and procedures within 3 months of appointment.
Level 2 (or equivalent) qualification in Maths / English (or willingness to complete on appointment)
Understanding of an individual’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons that they come into contact with or have responsibility for.
Call: 01254 354 220