18:00 to 21:00
34 week course
Free to UK resident for 3 years and don't have a GCSE at Grade 4/C
In GCSE Maths you will get to study a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study. You will develop confidence in, and a positive attitude towards, mathematics and to recognise the importance of mathematics in your own lives and for life in society. This course provides a strong mathematical foundation for learners who go on to study mathematics at a higher level.
What will I learn?
This course enables learners to:
• develop fluent knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematical methods and concepts
• acquire, select and apply mathematical techniques to solve problems
• reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences and draw conclusions
• comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
This course in GCSE in Mathematics places problem solving at the heart of mathematics learning, which helps learners tackle everyday mathematical problems whilst studying and after obtaining the qualification. It encourages the teaching of links between different areas of the curriculum by targeting questions that cover the content from different subject areas within mathematics.
How will the course be assessed?
It is assessed by external examinations that are held in May / June of the academic year and it is vital that you maintain 100% attendance on the course to be entered for the examination. There are two tiers foundation which enables you to get a grade 5 (C) and *higher up to a grade 9 (A**).
Learners entered for this qualification will sit 2 exams in 2 components.
- Component 1: Non-calculator Mathematics (2 hours 15 minutes)
- Component 2: Calculator-allowed Mathematics (2 hours 15 minutes)
*Only students identified as being strong candidates on the initial assessment will be offered the higher tier.
Materials and other information
Learners who have not already achieved a grade 4/C or above may be eligible to enrol onto this course for free, please contact us to discuss.