The College’s Governing Body is known as Nelson and Colne College Corporation. Nelson and Colne College was incorporated as a Further Education (FE) Corporation by the Further and Higher Education Act 1992.
The College’s statutory Instruments and Articles of Government set out the responsibilities of the Corporation and the Principal and provides the framework in which the Corporation operates. Members of the Governing Body are drawn from business, professional, public sector and community backgrounds. They bring a range of skills, expertise and experience to the Boardroom. The Corporation also includes the Principal, two staff Governors and two student Governors. Members of the Governing Body work as a team to determine the strategy and future direction of the College. Their responsibilities are to:
- Determine and periodically review the educational character and mission of the College and oversee its activities
- Approve the College’s quality strategy
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the College and the Corporation and to safeguard assets
- Approve the annual estimates of income and expenditure
- Appoint senior postholders and determine a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all staff
We have an active Board of Governors who play a key role in the ongoing development and direction of our College. College Governors have adopted the Nolan’s seven principles of public life (selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership) in carrying out these responsibilities.
Nelson and Colne College is committed to open and transparent governance. Enquiries are welcome to Debbie Corcoran, Director of Governance on 01282 440204 or to firstname.lastname@example.org