6 week course
This programme is designed for any learner that wants to increase their awareness of substance misuse.
The course will develop their understanding as to why people use substances, the types of substances that are commonly misused and the factors that can influence the effects of substances. They will explore how media reporting affects people's perceptions of substance misuse and look into the risk factors and protective factors for substance abuse and ways to protect individuals from the risks involved and the barriers to making healthy choices.
These may be learners who wish to access this training with a view to progressing to further qualifications or employment within health and social care, to complement other qualifications within health or health and social care, or to develop in their current job role within health and social care.
What will I learn?
Learners will complete one mandatory unit in developing an awareness of substance misuse. Topics covered include:
• Substances that are commonly misused
• The personal and social effects of substance misuse
• The perceptions of and responses to substance misuse
• Ways to promote healthy choices and build resilience
How will the course be assessed?
Learners will be given access to a comprehensive online learning platform which will provide them with detailed knowledge and information to support their successful completion of each unit.
Further self-directed research is encouraged to expand learner’s understanding of key topics.
Materials and other information
The Additional Learning Support Team work across college supporting students with a variety of learning needs in different ways. Support can be requested at enrolment or at any point throughout your course. For more information about ALS or for support with booking onto a course telephone 0333 0031717
Progression and Careers
· Clear deadlines will be provided for each unit to ensure the qualification is completed within the set time frame.
· Completion and progress on each unit is clearly identified on the learner’s online dashboard.
· Learners will receive regular written feedback throughout the course including opportunities for further development.