12 week course
This programme prepares learners for tackling outbreaks of infection in hospitals and healthcare settings and develops their understanding of causes of infection, how it can be spread and controlled.
These may be learners who wish to access this training with a view to progressing to further qualifications or employment within health and social care, to complement other qualifications within health or health and social care, or to develop in their current job role within health and social care.
What will I learn?
This qualification consists of 4 mandatory units which are:
• Principles of the causes and spread of infection in healthcare settings
• Principles of the importance of personal hygiene and health in the prevention and control of infection in healthcare settings
• Principles of decontamination, cleaning and waste management in healthcare settings
• Principles of infection prevention and control in a healthcare setting
Learners will study the chain of infection and examine how infection is caused and the ways in which it can spread.
They will explore the importance of personal hygiene, demonstrate effective hand washing and the principles of using personal protective equipment.
This qualification will provide learners with an understanding of how important cleaning, decontamination, sterilisation and waste management is within the healthcare setting.
Learners will look in detail at the regulations, policies, procedures, risk assessments and roles and responsibilities in relation to infection control.
How will the course be assessed?
Learners will be given access to a comprehensive online learning platform which will provide them with detailed knowledge and information to support their successful completion of each unit.
Further self-directed research is encouraged to expand learner’s understanding of key topics.
Materials and other information
The Additional Learning Support Team work across college supporting students with a variety of learning needs in different ways. Support can be requested at enrolment or at any point throughout your course. For more information about ALS or for support with booking on to a course telephone 0333 0031717
Progression and Careers
· Clear deadlines will be provided for each unit to ensure the qualification is completed within the set time frame.
· Completion and progress on each unit is clearly identified on the learner’s online dashboard.
· Learners will receive regular written feedback throughout the course including opportunities for further development.