Financial Support for 16-18 year old students
We have an extensive financial support package for our full-time 16-18 year old students. Support packages are tailored to individual needs, to help you throughout your time at College.
College Bursary Fund
Assistance from our College Bursary Fund is available to students aged 16-18 with an annual household income under £31,496 (gross)* per year.
The following support is available:
- FREE bus travel*
- FREE equipment and material awards for students on courses including Hair, Beauty, Art, Uniformed Services, Engineering, Education and Childcare, and Health and Social Work Professions
- FREE College meals**
There is also a Vulnerable Study Bursary* of up to £1,200 a year for students who are one of the following:
- In receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit
- In receipt of Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance
- In the care of the Local Authority
- A Care Leaver
The financial support package is reviewed each year and may be subject to change.
Transdev passes are valid on all services within the specified zone and cover evening and weekend travel, including half terms and summer holidays.
Subsidised termly bus passes are available to purchase by making an application on the Bus Pass and Bursary Portal (Pay My Student). The cost to the student will depend on where they live and in some cases the service(s) being accessed. Students entitled to the support from the College Bursary Fund are eligible for a FREE termly bus pass.
Subsidised termly bus pass costs are:
Blackburn Pass – £50
Lancashire Pass – £60
College mini bus
Service 100 (Colne) – £40
Some students may need to get a pass for Lancashire County Council run local services. Please enquire for more details.
All routes and services are subject to change.
Free Breakfast and Meals
All students arriving before 9am each day can enjoy a FREE healthy breakfast in our Refectory. Free fruit is available to all students whilst in College.
Free College Meals
Funding is available to support disadvantaged students aged between 16 and 18 at the start of their course to access a free meal for each day they attend their study programme, where this is appropriate.
For the purposes of eligibility, ‘disadvantaged’ is defined as the student being in receipt of, or having parents who are receiving one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) with an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by the HMRC
- Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 p.a.
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Eligible students will receive a credit of £3.00 onto their student smart ID card each day they are in College. Funds not spent on the day will not be transferred over to the next day.
Capacity and Delivery Fund (CDF) – Industry Placements
Support may be available to vocational students undertaking industry placements who may need to travel further to access their placements and/or incur additional costs for equipment and clothing.
For more information, please contact Student Services on: 01282 440209 StudentServices@nelsongroup.ac.uk
*Subject to conditions, fund availability and evidence being provided
UPAY, The Smarter Way to Pay
The College uses a cashless “smart card” system, which enables students to pay for food and drinks in College catering outlets without the need to carry cash. Students can simply add funds via their UPAY account. For more information visit www.nelson.ac.uk/smartcard
Students who receive Free School Meals will automatically have their “smart card” topped up.
Pay My Student
Applications for financial support from the College Bursary Fund (including free and subsidised travel) are submitted via our online portal (Pay My Student) using your college Office 365 account: