Our Apprenticeship Vacancy of the week is for a…
Accounting Apprentice at Marsden Building Society
Company: Marsden Building Society
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Annual Wage: £12,000
This vacancy is for a Finance Apprentice based in Nelson, Lancashire. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to undertake valuable work experience whilst gaining on the job qualifications.
You would follow a structured training programme in company with day release at a local college.
At level 2 you would learn how to use manual and computerised accounting systems to carry out a wide range of accounting duties and you will start to develop double entry bookkeeping skills and gain knowledge of management and administrative processes. You will also learn basic costing principles and how to work with sales and purchase ledgers.
Daily balancing of summit Investment and Mortgages to the nominal ledger balancing the previous days summit to the day before nominal ledger to ensure all entries that have been posted in summit have been posted in the nominal ledger.
Purchase Ledger keying in all invoices received, weekly payment runs by cheque and faster payment, chase up outstanding invoices and check statements, in a timely manner, ensuring bank details are correct when suppliers are paid via the bank, scanning and filing invoices paid.
Prepare Debtors, Creditors, Pre-payments & Accruals at Month End for review by Finance Manager.
Helping Finance Manager prepare Management Accounts & Budgets.
Treasury Back Office sending out confirmations, checking standard settlement instructions and audit request letters.
- Numerical competence. There is no need to be a Maths genius but you must be comfortable with numbers and have a Maths GCSE or equivalent to do the AAT Qualification.
- Communication skills. You need to be able to confidently communicate technical information to others with no accounting knowledge. It is important to be able to communicate clearly at all levels of the business.
- Team player. Accountants often work in teams. You need to work well with others to get and deliver information which makes it easier to do your job.
- Interpersonal skills. You must be able to interact with others. Building relationships with people in the business is important as they will help you carry out your role.
- Problem solving in accounting you will often need to determine the best way to solve a problem. You may encounter challenges so it is important you find a way to overcome obstacles.
- Commitment and motivation. Accountancy training is not easy. Your employer will be investing time and money in you so you need to demonstrate you are committed to learning and show you are motivated to succeed.
- Reporting skills. Accountants need to prepare statistical and written reports. Report writing is a skill you will develop as your career progresses.
- Attention to detail. You have to pay attention to small details as miscalculations can lead to misinterpretation. Your training will teach you to take a methodical approach.
- Time management. Accountants often work on several projects at a time so you need to manage and prioritise your work load to meet goals and deadlines.
- Professionalism. Accountants have a responsibility to operate professionally and ethically. This includes how you treat others, your behaviour in the work place and your work performance, including discretion with sensitive information.
- Business awareness. Accountants work in all business areas so they need to be aware of what is happening in the business environment around them. You need to keep up to date with current issues and any changes in industry regulations.
- It is essential that due to the nature of the job the candidate is educated to A level.
- It is desirable that the candidate has advanced IT knowledge at grade B
The ability to work as an individual as well as part of a team and be respectful to team members at all times. Be an excellent communicator at all levels, via telephone and face to face. Be able to use their own initiative.
Call: 01254 354 220
To view all our current apprenticeship vacancies please follow this link.