|Catering and Professional Chef|
An Apprenticeship in Catering and Professional Chefs combines the practical hands-on experience of the workplace with the knowledge and understanding and practical skills gained in the college classroom and work.
At Intermediate level Apprentices could work as a kitchen assistant helping with food preparation and keeping the working area clean and tidy, or as a school cook, preparing, cooking and serving nutritious meals in large volumes. Alternatively Apprentices might work in a role that requires a speciality such as Asian, Oriental or other cuisines.
Successful completion of an Advanced Level apprenticeship could lead to more senior roles as a sous chef or senior chef, preparing and finishing food from scratch for a wide variety of dishes and ingredients. Or you might choose to specialise in patisserie and confectionery and become a pastry chef.
- Developing skills for employment in the Catering and Hospitality Industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety in catering
- Nutritional and special diets in catering
- Kitchen operations, costs and menu planning
- Applying workplace skills.
- Prepare and cook sauces, stocks, soups, fruit and vegetables, meat and offal, poultry, fish and shellfish, pasta and rice grains and egg dishes, desserts and puddings and bakery products.
Intermediate Apprenticeship Candidates will need 4 GCSEs at grade D or above in a minimum of 3 subject areas (one of these must be in English or Maths) or a relevant Level 1 qualification and Level 1 Maths and English.
Advanced Apprenticeship Candidates will need at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above in a minimum of 3 subject areas (one of these must be in English or Maths) or successful completion of an Intermediate Apprenticeship, or equivalent.
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship:
- School Cook/Chef
- Kitchen Assistant
- Craft Chef – Fine Dining
- Craft Chef – Casual Dining
- Commis Chef – Bangladeshi Cuisine
- Wok Chef, Deep Fry Chef – Chinese Cuisine
Advanced Level Apprenticeship:
- Sous Chef or Senior Chef
- Sous Chef or Senior Chef/Cook – Fine Dining
- Pastry Chef
- Functional Skills
- Technical Certificate
Assessment is through practical observation and theoretical tests.
A Catering and Hospitality Apprenticeship can open doors to a fantastic career! You could continue with your studies, undertaking degree level study at university after an Advanced Apprenticeship. Degrees such as Hotel Management, or Hospitality and Events Management are increasingly popular. You could also decide to study for a number of professional qualifications in your industry in order for you to progress within your career, or could take teaching qualifications in order to become a Catering Teacher.